PLANNED IMPLEMENTATION OF STARS:
1. Identify the patients in need:
• Patients will be identified through responses within our
response area, organizations within our response area, School Districts, Day Care Centers, Hospitals, etc.
2. Contact parents or guardians to set up a home visit:
• Schedule a home visit if possible to fill out the
STARS form, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) form and to educate the families about the
program. At this time, families can ask questions and it can be explained of the capabilities and limitations of the District.
Details such as the fact that the system will only work in our district will be explained. We will allow the families to tour
the ambulance at this time.
• The patient will be assigned a "STAR number". The guardian's will be informed of what their
number is and the importance of knowing their number for dispatch in the case of an emergency. Two (2) yellow key chains with
their STAR number will be given to them as a reminder. It will be suggested that one (1) key chain is be kept with the guardian
and one (1) sent with the child on a diaper bag or school bag whenever the child is not in the care of the guardian.
3. Forward the information to Jefferson County 9-1-1 Dispatch Center:
• The information will be forwarded to the Jefferson
County 9-1-1 Dispatch Center. The number and the child's address will both be flagged by Jefferson County 9-1-1 Dispatch
Center. The importance of the child having a number as well as the address being flagged is so that they can be tracked when
not in the home. When the Jefferson County 9-1-1 Dispatch Center is notified by the caller that they have a "STARS Child",
dispatch will then relay the number to the responding emergency service unit to reference the information sheet to prepare.
4. Schedule training as needed:
• In the instance that a child with an atypical syndrome, disease, or medical equipment is identified, training
will be held to familiarize personnel with that child's needs.
5. File the forms in numerical
number in each ambulance:
• The forms will be in a folder in each ambulance for reference. The forms will be printed front and back,
kept in plastic sheets in a three ring binder as our current maps are. The folder will be brightly colored for quick recognition.
6. Follow Up:
• Schedule follow up calls every three (3) months to update the forms as needed.
7. Schedule a yearly STARS in house event for families:
• Invite the families to Rock Township Ambulance District
for an annual tour and gathering as a Public Relations event. In addition, representatives will be invited from surrounding
emergency services and medical facilities. At this time, the families can ask questions and the Paramedic's can get acquainted.
Adopted by the Board of Directors:
July 30, 2014
After 30 day
posting -Effective Date: August 30,
2014 @ 8:00 a.m.